LLW-5/19/10 a
I found a quiet area by a pet store I had stopped at. Little did I realize that the boxes were all filled with dog food...
LLW-5/19/10 b
I decided to find another spot and do it again
Wednesday, May 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The contrast between these two Flips is really interesting.
ReplyDeleteIn a) you are clicking when Nad is looking at you and giving the treat w/your right hand, causing him to move toward that hand. When he stops to investigate the dog food you make "kissy sounds" to distract him. Ideally, for Lazy Leash you will time your click when Nad is maintaining a loose leash AND looking around at the world, not making eye contact w/you.
In b) you appear to be clicking less AND clicking for the clasp position rather than eye contact. You are delivering the treat from your left hand. Notice the change in Nad's position.
Refer back to Loose Leash: Step 4 in the Clinic Handout. Do you see where we're headed there? The bags of dog food in a) could have changed the Leash Flip from a LLW Flip into a "single focal point" exercise....making the bags of food a single focal point.....or a Zen exercise. It's hard to switch gears, but sometimes opportunities present themselves unexpectedly!
Clip b) demonstrates working under threshold.
This is a great training video!
This is a great training video!
Another view:
ReplyDeleteIn a) when Nad stops to sniff the dogfood you could have
- backed away in the opposite direction (teaching that a tight leash NEVER goes where the dog wants to go
or
- used the opportunity for Nad to "problem solve" releasing the pressure on the collar.
Lynn,
ReplyDeleteyes, I do need to learn to 'switch gears'. I have noticed that I have been clicking while he's looking at me - great to get that timing straightened out - thank you.